Chicken Tandoori is a dish prepared by roasting or grilling raw marinated chicken in yogurt also known as dahi in India and spices such as tandoori masala, turmeric powder and red chilli powder in a tandoor (a clay oven). The dish originated from the Indian subcontinent and is popular in many other parts of the world. The marinated chicken is placed on skewers and cooked at high temperatures in a tandoor oven, which is heated with charcoal or wood, which adds to the smoky flavour.
- 400 g chicken
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- A pinch of food colour (red/orange)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 tbsp garam masala/ tandoori masala (optional)
- 125 g thick sour curd
Procedure to make Chicken Tandoori
In a large mixing bowl, add curds, all the dry spices and mix well.
Now add the chicken and marinate for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator
Take a little bit of marinade and set aside
Heat oil a pan and shallow fry the chicken from both sides until just done.
Now pour the marinade sauce from top and fry until the sauce is a little dry.
Remove from flame, rub a little bit of chaat masala while hot and serve hot with chapatis or naan.
- To give the smoky effect, take some ghee/butter in a small bowl and place in the middle of pan once the chicken is done. Heat a small piece of coal and immediately place inside the ghee/butter bowl and quickly cover from top. This will release the smoke inside and your chicken will get the smoky/tandoori flavour.
- You could apply a little bit of red chilli powder from top in the end before you remove the chicken from the flame for restaurant like colour.
Do try out my other amazing recipes of hot garlic chicken, chicken samosa and kebabs
Hot garlic chicken | Crispy Chicken in hot garlic sauce
Burger king style chilli cheese bites ⎪ How to make Chilli cheese nuggets ⎪ Chilli cheese bites
Chicken Samosas ⎪ How to make chicken samosas