Indian Chinese cuisine or Indo-Chinese cuisine, is a distinct cuisine formed through the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes through a larger offering to also include vegetarian dishes and was developed by the ethnic Chinese community of Kolkata over the course of a century. Today, Chinese food is an integral part of the Indian and Bangladeshi culinary scenes.If you’ve ever tried the crispy Hot garlic chicken you’ll know what I’m talking about. This Indo-Chinese starter is to look out for! Crispy marinated, juicy chunks of dunked in hot garlic sauce is tantalizing to the taste buds. This happens to be my husbands favourite too, so its always prepared on the go. Its very easy to prepare and tastes just like any restaurant. If you are in for amazing chicken starters, try my chicken shawarma, chicken tikka and chicken burger recipes.
- Crispy chicken
250 boneless chicken
1 tbsp all purpose flour
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
- Hot garlic sauce
2 tbsps cornflour mixed with cold water
1 medium sized onion diced
8-10 cloves of minced garlic
1-2 slit green chillies
1/2 diced bell pepper
1 tbsp soya sauce
3-4 tbsps red chilli sauce
salt to taste
3-4 tbsps sweet and sour sauce
a pinch of pepper powder
1 tbsp oil
- Marinate the chicken with the above ingredients under crispy chicken and let it rest for 2-3 hrs
- Preparing the sauce
- Meanwhile in a another pan heat some oil and saute the chopped garlic, onion and green chillies for a minute or two
- Then add in the capsicum and all the sauces and contiue to saute for another 2-3 minutes
- Now add the cornflour slurry and stir in all the ingredients well. (Optional- Depending on how thick or liquidy you want your sauce to be add in water)
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and turn off the flame so that the sauce cools down.
- Crispy Chicken
- Now heat some oil in a pan and fry the chicken from both sides until golden brown. Drain on kitchen absorbant towel and set aside.
- Combining the chicken with the sauce
- Now add the fried chunks of chicken to the sauce and mix well. Your delicious crispy chicken with hot garlic sauce is ready.
Tips for hot garlic chicken
- Avoid coating the chicken with too much of corn flour and all purpose flour as the outer covering gives way when you mix with the sauce and you end of biting into corn flour. If you want to retain the crispy flavour of the chicken use more of spices and less of coating.
- If you want to retain the crispiness of the chicken add in the chunks just before serving.
- You could also try making chicken lollipops and adding them to this sauce.